INFRARED THERMAL BOND PATCHING
Infrared thermal bond bituminous pavement patching is a method of blending new blacktop with infrared-heated existing blacktop to create a joint-free integral patch. The machine is capable of heating the existing blacktop to a depth of approximately two inches without oxidation or burning. There is no flame in direct contact with the existing blacktop surface. The unit is also equipped with chambers, which are capable of storing up to four tons of fresh bituminous materials at a consistent temperature.
SAW CUT, REMOVE AND REPLACE
Asphalt is a flexible pavement and has a specific life cycle based on its original design and intended use. As the pavement ages, it will require isolated repairs to maximize the life of the remaining pavement system. The type of repair that is required will be determined by the cause of failure and the service that it is intended to provide, i.e., car or truck traffic, etc. All patching, whether saw cut or jack hammered, will be constructed in the same basic manner with the main variable being the depth of the repair. If the pavement has failed due to underground water or soil, then the proper underground work should be completed first.
- Identify the perimeter of the area to be repaired being sure to stay at least one foot outside of the damage area and neatly saw cut or jackhammer along the painted lines.
- Excavate the deteriorated asphalt and any unsuitable base, sub-base material to the specified depth and load onto a waiting dump truck.
- Haul materials off site and recycle or dispose of properly.
- Re-compact the sub base using a vibratory roller.
- Proof roll the base to check for deficiencies in the sub base and repair if unstable with either additional stone or asphalt depending on the size of the repair.
- Apply a tack coat to all vertical edges of the existing asphalt to ensure a good bond with the new asphalt.
- Install one or more lifts of base course asphalt not to exceed 4″ per lift to within 1 1/2″ of the surface and compact using a vibratory steel drum roller.
- Install and compact the 1 1/2″ lift of hot surface mix asphalt to meet the surrounding pavement’s elevation and compact using a steel drum vibratory roller.
- When specified, run a bead of pour-able sealant to the edge of each patch to help minimize water penetration
Check out the video below to see the patching process.